Saturday 10 October 2009

Week one, the real start.

Honestly, this week has been much better than the previous.
Monday started off, jumping straight into mood boards. I've had a go at some simple mood boards before, so I feel like I do know what I'm meant to be doing. We were given five keywords which we could choose one of to base our mood boards on, I feel like I've chosen quite a hard one. I've been doing some research in the library and gathering samples of other medias which I intend to use on my mood board.
Tuesday was our introduction to the Macs. I've never really used Macs so I was quite happy to be shown through some of the simple things. We got shown how to sort out our blogs, which was handy as I've never written a blog before, so I'm going to have fun experimenting.
Thursday was our first lesson using the industrial machines. I've only ever used the general machines you can buy and use at home, so I wasn't sure what to expect. Turns out, they're really fast. I'm not very good with straight lines... gimme something with a curve and I'm sorted! The overlocker isn't something new to me, I've used them before and so I know how to use them. The steam irons were also something new to me, not too hard to use, but really quite scary! We had to make a bunch of seam samples, most of which I've had a shot at before, but we did learn some different techniques. I'm definately going to have to re-do a few of them though...
Friday we got to start making a pattern. I did make a pattern from scratch once, a long time ago. It wasn't very good at all, but still worked out alright when I made the garment. There are so many things you have to check as we went along, I definately need to write a list of notes so I don't forget!
Not only was this week busy getting set off on the fashion-related stuff, but it was also Freshers' week. It was a bit annoying that most of the nights had the same music, it's better to have a bit of a variety, but I still had a good time. The foam party was great, I'd never been to one before so I didn't know what to expect but it was pretty good. The bar crawl was the best, I was on green team, we must have screamed: 'Who are we?! GREEN ARMY!!!' about a billion times. It was great to see so many people in so many places, I really enjoyed it. Not the bad hangover that I suffered the following day though!

No comments:

Post a Comment